Exciting Construction Safety Internship opportunity with Jay Dee Contractors, Inc starting in May 2022.
Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is a leader in Heavy Underground Construction. We have been pushing the boundaries of innovation since 1965. Our team of skilled employees, paired with an extensive inventory of equipment has allowed us to build a project portfolio that varies in size, scope and level of complexity. To date, the Jay Dee team has completed over 100 miles of safe and effective underground spaces and tunnels in a variety of ground conditions, including soft ground and hard rock.
JOB SUMMARY: The purpose of the internship is to provide meaningful hands-on Construction Safety experience to students with proven academic performance and leadership potential through exposure to both technical and administrative duties. Typical responsibilities require applying working knowledge of safe work practices and creative problem-solving abilities.
This internship is a great introduction to a career in construction safety. You will become familiar with construction safety industry standards in procedures and documentation, and learn the language of the trade. If you are looking for a career in construction safety, this is a great opportunity to start in one of the most specialized areas of construction – underground tunneling.
PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with accident and incident investigations including report writing.
- Assist with reviewing, evaluating, and analyzing work environments to control, eliminate, and prevent injury caused by chemical, physical, or ergonomic factors.
- Assist with maintaining necessary safety logs, I.e.; gas testing, air velocity, and other required tests.
- Conduct jobsite walks and inspections.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Enrollment in an accredited Degree program in Safety and Health/Occupational Safety or related field.
- Completed at least two years of college education prior to the start of internship.
- Working knowledge of safe work practices, accident investigation techniques, and OSHA standards through school and/or internship experience; some experience with construction safety is a plus.
- Creative problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships in a cross functional team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, time management and organizational skills.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Leadership experience, including involvement in student organizations
- Previous related internship experience
Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, or age. Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is an at will employer. EOE/AA Employer D/V/M/F.