Livonia, MI, United States
Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is a leader in Heavy Underground Construction. We have been pushing the boundaries of innovation since 1965. Our team of skilled employees, paired with an extensive inventory of equipment has allowed us to build a project portfolio that varies in size, scope and level of complexity. To date, the Jay Dee team has completed over 100 miles of safe and effective underground spaces and tunnels in a variety of ground conditions, including soft ground and hard rock. We encourage you to learn more by visiting our website: //www.jaydee.us/careers/.
JOB SUMMARY: The purpose of the internship is to provide meaningful hands-on Heavy Underground Construction Engineering experience to students with proven academic performance and leadership potential through exposure to both technical and administrative duties. Typical responsibilities require applying critical engineering and management thinking.
PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop, test, modify, and create solutions to mechanical related technical problems.
- Prepare and present project documents including calculations, drawings, specifications, and reports.
- Record, analyze and report basic engineering functions related to underground construction.
- Perform cost studies and estimating functions.
- Develop variety of CAD drawings for different aspects of the work.
- Perform hands on activities in the job site or in the tunnel.
- Perform quality control related activities including segment damage monitoring and documentation, proof grouting, document control, survey, muck sampling, etc.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Enrollment in a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree program in Mechanical Engineering.
- Major GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Completed at least two years of college education prior to start of internship.
- School and/or work experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Project, Power Point, Internet Explorer, and AutoCAD.
- Creative problem solving abilities with the ability to develop positive working relationships in a cross functional team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to lift and carry 20-30 lbs and work in a confined space environment.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Leadership experience, including involvement in Construction related student organizations.
*This is a summer internship position. Must be willing to relocate for the summer.
Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, or age. Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is an at will employer. EOE/AA Employer D/V/M/F.