Chicago, IL, United States
Jay Dee has recently acquired the East-West Trunk Sewer and South Conveyance project at the O’Hare International Airport in Chicago, IL. The work is varied and consists of supporting tunnel excavation, shaft excavation, and surface work.
- Must be a member or willing to become a member of Chicago Operator’s Local 150
- Pay is per collective bargaining agreement
- 5-20 hours of overtime per week
- Work schedule is Monday – Friday with occasional weekend work
- Must pass a pre-employment physical and drug screen
- Must be able to obtain Chicago O’Hare International Airport ID Badge
- Work projected to start in August 2023
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Heavy Equipment Operator will perform various construction duties related to shaft and tunnel excavation. This includes operating gasoline, diesel, pneumatic or electric powered equipment to move objects per project requirements; performing light maintenance duties such as cleaning, greasing, and oiling machines; performing daily inspections of equipment and documenting results on daily log; observing functioning of equipment to determine hazards and need for adjustments, repairs, or replacement. Other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS, AND DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- At least 18 years of age
- Valid driver’s license is required; CDL is a plus.
• High School Diploma (or GED or High School Equivalence Certificate) Preferred.
- 3 + Years of experience as an Equipment Operator on construction projects required, heavy construction preferred.
- Ability to work in a safety sensitive construction zone, around large machinery and heavy equipment and follow established jobsite safety and regulations including identifying safety hazards and taking all necessary corrective action to eliminate or minimize hazards.
- Ability to read, understand, and apply operating manual procedures for assigned equipment, visually recognize and differentiate hand signals.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy items weighing 25 pounds or more.
- Ability to comprehend documents including safety rules, operating maintenance instructions and procedure manuals, and write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to assemble and operate compressors and pumps, operate levers and pedals on assigned equipment to lower bucket or scoop up material and to lift, swing, or dump material; adjust hand wheels and depress foot pedals to drive machines and control attachments, such as blades, buckets, scrapers, and swing booms.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers and fractions, calculate slopes and grades of materials, and calculate fuel/oil mixtures.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions and in underground, confined spaces and uneven areas.
- Ability to work cooperatively with a team in a fast-paced and complex environment.
WHY WORK FOR JAY DEE CONTRACTORS, INC.:
This is an ideal position for an individual who enjoys a fast-paced and dynamic environment. The Company offers a team-based work environment with ample opportunity for growth in a specialty trade.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to perform repetitive movements including frequent use of feet to depress foot pedals; work overhead; use hands to grasp; reach with arms; stand, walk, stoop, kneel, squat, crawl, and twist; sit, climb, and balance. The employee must have vision adequate to perform all required tasks, including the ability to recognize and read hand signals. The employee is frequently required to lift and/or push, pull up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or push, pull up to 50 pounds. The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to wear personal protective equipment as needed to perform job tasks, is regularly exposed to vibration, frequently exposed to moving machinery, mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles and must be able to properly use, handle and dispose of hazardous materials per MSDS regulations and company procedures, and work in underground, confined spaces. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions high precarious places, and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is sometimes very loud. The employee is expected to work in a safe and efficient manner while maintaining a clean work area.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel in this classification. Duties and responsibilities may be added or changed as deemed appropriate by management at any time with or without notice.
Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, genetic information, pregnancy, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.