Madison Heights, MI, United States
The Survey Party Chief is a member of the Engineering team, and will perform quality control checks to validate daily survey tasks and provide frequent updates regarding on-site construction surveying activities. The Survey Party Chief must be a flexible and adaptable team-player with the ability to work outside in all weather conditions and in underground confined space environments. To be successful in this role you will need to have a hands-on approach and ability to perform all surveyor functions.
Principal Functional Responsibilities
- Perform the most technically complex field surveying duties, plan and delegate other field surveying duties to survey crew.
- Perform quality control checks to validate daily survey tasks and provide frequent updates regarding surveying activities.
- Participate in preconstruction planning meetings and progress meetings with the project manager, project engineer, and general superintendent.
- Review and update all drawings that relate to the survey for completeness, consistency and feasibility of layout to ensure that all dimensions between corresponding drawings agree.
- Calculate the layout of all project components using the drawings, specifications, and submissions provided.
- Operate survey equipment and prepare documentation of all surveying activities performed.
- Perform daily maintenance and preparation of surveying equipment.
- Provide quality control by checking for accuracy at all control points, benchmarks, gridlines, survey marks, elevations and stakeout points.
- Compare survey computations with applicable standards to determine adequacy of data.
- Maintain records of all on-site surveys and monitoring per project and company requirements. • Coordinate with project superintendents, TBM Operators, Engineers, the Project Manager, and other project stakeholders.
Essential Qualifications And Skills
- Associates Degree in Surveying Technology, Civil Engineering, Construction Management or related field; or 4 years of tunnel surveying experience with a minimum of a High School diploma or GED.
- Minimum 5 years of Heavy Civil Construction surveying experience with at least 2 years of Tunnel surveying experience.
- AutoCAD, Leica, and Total Station experience preferred.
- Ability to calculate shapes (geometric, etc.), read drawings and specifications, and extract detailed surveying related information.
- Ability to successfully survey in an ever-changing environment including different phases of construction.
- Proficient computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Creative problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships in a cross functional team environment. • Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. several times a day.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions and in confined space environments.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk and is occasionally required to balance and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel in this classification. Duties and responsibilities may be added or changed as deemed appropriate by management at any time.
Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, or age. Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is an at will employer. EOE/AA Employer D/V/M/F.