Chicago, Illinois, United States
Surveyor Internship opportunity – May 2024
The purpose of the internship is to provide meaningful hands-on Tunnel Construction Surveying experience to students with proven academic performance and leadership potential through exposure to both technical and administrative duties. Typical responsibilities require applying working knowledge of surveying and creative problem-solving abilities.
PRINCIPAL FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform daily maintenance and preparation of surveying equipment.
- Review and update all drawings that relate to the survey for completeness, consistency and feasibility of layout to ensure that all dimensions between corresponding drawings agree.
- Perform As-built Survey
- Calculate the layout of all project components using the drawings, specifications, and submissions provided.
- Operate survey equipment and prepare documentation of all surveying activities performed.
- Assist with quality control by checking for accuracy at all control points, benchmarks, gridlines, survey marks, elevations and stakeout points.
- Compare survey computations with applicable standards to determine adequacy of data.
- Assist with conducting quantity calculations as required.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Enrollment in an accredited Degree program in Geomatics, Survey Technology, Civil Engineering, Construction Management or related field
- Completed at least one year of college education prior to the start of internship.
- Working knowledge of calculating shapes (geometric, geodetics, etc.), reading drawings, specifications, and extracting detailed surveying related information.
- Proficient computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Proficient with AutoCAD 2D
- Creative problem-solving abilities.
• Ability to develop positive working relationships in a cross functional team environment.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. several times a day.
- Must be accustomed to working outside in all weather conditions.
- Knowledge in GeoLab, STAR*NET, Amberg Tunnel and AutoCAD 3D software is a plus
- Strong math skills including statistics and least square adjustments is a plus
Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, genetic information, pregnancy, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.