Madison Heights, MI, United States
The purpose of the internship is to provide meaningful hands-on Heavy Underground Construction Engineering experience to students with proven academic performance and leadership potential through exposure to both technical and administrative duties. Typical responsibilities require applying critical engineering and management thinking.
Principal Functional Responsibilities
- Perform cost studies and estimating functions.
- Review material and labor requirements and provide recommendations on whether it is more cost effective to produce or purchase components.
- Managing interoffice communication between the project team and project owner, including assembling submittal packages electronically.
- Perform basic geotechnical and structural analysis.
- Develop variety of CAD drawings for different aspects of the work.
- Perform hands on activities at the job site or in the tunnel.
Essential Qualifications And Skills
- Enrollment in a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree program (and/or PhD program) in Civil, Construction, or Mining Engineering, or related field.
- Major GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Completed at least two years of college education prior to start of internship.
- School and/or work experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Project, Power Point, Internet Explorer, and AutoCAD.
- Creative problem solving abilities with the ability to develop positive working relationships in a cross functional team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to lift and carry 20-30 lbs and work in a confined space environment.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Completed at least three years of college education prior to start of internship.
- Leadership experience, including involvement in Construction related student organizations.
Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status, such as race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, or age. Jay Dee Contractors, Inc. is an at will employer. EOE/AA Employer D/V/M/F.