Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The purpose of the internship is to provide meaningful hands-on Heavy Underground Construction Engineering experience to students with proven academic performance and leadership potential through exposure to both technical and administrative duties. Typical responsibilities require applying critical engineering and management thinking.
Principal Functional Responsibilities
- Record, analyze and report basic engineering functions related to underground construction.
- Perform cost studies and estimating functions.
- Perform downtime studies.
- Perform basic geotechnical and structural analysis.
- Develop variety of CAD drawings for different aspects of the work.
- Perform hands on activities in the job site or in the tunnel.
- Perform quality control related activities including segment damage monitoring and documentation, proof grouting, document control, survey, muck sampling, etc.
Essential Qualifications And Skills
- Enrollment in a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree program (and/or graduate program) in Civil, Construction, or Mining Engineering, Construction Management, or related field.
- Major GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Completed at least two years of college education prior to start of internship.
- School and/or work experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Project, Power Point, Internet Explorer, and AutoCAD.
- Creative problem solving abilities with the ability to develop positive working relationships in a cross functional team environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to lift and carry 20-30 lbs and work in a confined space environment.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Leadership experience, including involvement in Construction related student organizations.
Jay Dee Canada is an Equal Opportunity Employer.